Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Seminar at The Attic Needleworks

Hello Dear Stitching Friends,

What a whirlwind the Christmas holiday was and I am still recovering.  I had friends from Texas visiting for 10 days during the holiday and we had a great time.  It was good to relax with them on our patio in the warm Arizona sun. 

The First post of the new year has to cover the Seminar at Attic Needlework in January.  I had a wonderful time participating in this seminar.  The classes and lectures were fantastic and I continue to learn about the history of needlework and of the women who accomplished these beautiful works of art. 

Vickie and Megan Jennett of Needlework Press taught a very cute pin cushion based on her new book that comes out at the Nashville Needlework Market.  The lectures by Dr. Groggins were phenomenal!  I was especially impressed with the research she is doing on the relationship between doing needlework and trauma resolution.  I have always felt that stitching helps us work through a variety of difficulties in our lives, but it was great to hear about the research.  Amy Mitten is a personal friend and it was great to see her and catch up on her adventures.  Her class was delightful and we learned a great deal about the history of Mary Queen of Scot's needlework and the secret ciphers contained in her work.  My part of this seminar came on Sunday morning.  I showed my entire sampler collection which consists of 31 antique samplers.  I entertained 50 plus needle workers at my home where they were able to view my sampler collection.  I received such wonderful support and kind remarks on my home and my sampler collection.  Each visitor received a color pamphlet of my collection with notes on each sampler as well as a history of the sampler maker on those samplers already reproduced.  The compliments on this booklet were plentiful and many suggested I publish the book.  It is such fun sharing the love of needlework with others who are just as passionate about it as I am.  You can see pictures of the event in the Attic's January 23rd newsletter.  I also received a couple nice pictures from Patricia Eaton and I have posted them below.

 
My Dining Room with several samplers displayed.

  
Linda Vinson (Needlemade Designs) Myself and
Amy Mitten (Fiber's To Dye For) just after studying a
particular stitch on one of the samplers.
 
 
I hope that all of you had a wonderful holiday and that the new year will bring you many lovely hours of stitching.  Next up....Nashville Needlework Market Review.
 
Until next time keep your needles busy.
 
Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment