Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Thoughts on Time at Christmas


Hello Friends,

My goodness the days slip by so quickly!  When your spouse is retired you begin to lose track of the days.  You know that test they give you at the doctors to be sure you don't have memory loss?  It includes the question "Do you know what day it is today?"  Well...I think I might get that one wrong.  The day of the week and the date of the month are a blur, but I do know that it will soon be 2014 and another year will have flown by.  If we could only invent a brake that would slow down time.  Of course if we did that then the world would slow down, gravity would begin to lose it's power and we all would be flung off the planet.  So...I guess I better just be happy with the way things are.  :)

But the issue of time is one that I struggle with daily at this time of year.  Is there enough time to do all the things I have on my list before Christmas?  Decorations, cards, shopping, meal planning, holiday celebrations, visits to friends not able to be home for Christmas and of course choosing gifts for friends and family.  Then as I think about the holidays, a Victorian poem comes to mind.  I am reminded that in the midst of plenty there is a need for charity for those less fortunate and to give according to one's ability.

Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat
Please to put a penny in the old man's hat
If you haven't got a penny then a ha'penny will do
If you haven't got a ha'penny then God Bless You!

There are so many ways to give at this time of year, but sometimes I can over look the simple things that mean more to others than any monetary gift I could give.  The gift of time with those I love and with those less fortunate is something that will be remembered for many years to come. 

I hope that this Christmas many of you will be able to give the gift of your time to those you love as well as to those around you who are less fortunate.  Of course if you have the "penny" then give when you can, but the gift of time is worth a thousand times more than that ha'penny in the old man's hat.

Merry Christmas,

Gloria

2 comments:

  1. Hello Gloria -- Our thoughts are with you and Rick during this joyous holiday season. Just wish we could make it out there for Christmas but it looks like another set of friends from Texas will be joining you. All the best to you and rick for the season. Love ya much...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert and we send our best wishes back to you and your family! Sending hugs your way.

      Delete